Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sad to Happy

Sometimes I just want to cry. Like last night. I was tired and I felt like there was no way I could get everything done for today. If I didn’t pass my Contracts exam I’d have my grade bumped down half a grade. I just felt overwhelmed. I wanted to just give up for the night and cry. Lay in my bed and let it out. But I’m a man. I can’t cry on demand. I can’t just say, “Ok, I’m going to let my emotions go for the evening.” Sometimes I wish I could; but it doesn’t work like that for me. So I just read a happy book until I was exhausted and fell asleep.

This morning I woke up. I showered. I ate. I studied. After a while I remembered that today is just a day, like any other. This too will pass. I looked at my watch. 12:47 pm. In a few hours it will be Spring Break. I just have to make myself go and take the test. So I brushed my teeth, packed my bag, and left. It turns out the exam wasn’t as hard as I had expected. We were tested on something that is notoriously difficult to understand. For some weird reason this particular rule was really easy for me. I thoroughly analyzed the problem and wrote down my organized thoughts.

I even got done a little early. With the extra time I went to the cafeteria and bought myself a diet coke. I reviewed for our Criminal Law class and off I went. Rape is so much more sad in real life than it ever is on television. I thought that I had been desensitized by watching so much Law & Order: SVU. Maybe I have been. Still these cases are not fun to read. There are some deadbeat losers in the world. Happily, I haven’t met any of these people. Perhaps someday I’ll get the honor of defending one of them. I’ll take Denny Crane’s approach. (I can’t seem to find a link to the clip I’m thinking about. I’ll try to upload it later.)

Well, Criminal Law went well, and as always the day came to an end. When I was walking home from class and talking with a friend that lives in my apartment complex the air felt lighter and the sun warmer. I really think that my body was more receptive to the beauty of the day after I had relieved myself of what was stressing me out. Now it’s Spring Break! I’ve gotta get my apartment clean for when Stefani comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment