Monday, March 15, 2010

Sunday

Not to be elitist or anything, but Mozart is wonderful wake-up music. I left my laptop open last night and set an alarm on it to wake me up to 100 Best Mozart. (Luckily my laptop recognized that it was daylight savings time.) It was very nice to drift into consciousness with Vesperae Solennes de Confessore, K. 339: Laudate Dominum playing in the background. Perhaps tomorrow I’ll try a little Violin Concerto No. 1 In A Minor, BWV 1041: I. (Allegro Moderato) by Bach. Not to be elitist or anything...

So, being Sunday I feel like I should say something about the Church. When my Mom was here last weekend she and I took turns sharing a Book of Mormon scripture for something that our Stake at home is doing called Book of Mormon Moments. I was told that a general authority came to the Stake and said that if you do that as a family every night then he promised that your wayward children would come back into Church activity. I didn’t really understand the background behind it, but it sounds like a neat idea.

So tonight for my Book of Mormon moment I’ll share one of my favorites, Moroni 10: 27. “And I exhort you to remember these things; for the time speedily cometh that ye shall know that I lie not, for ye shall see see me at the bar of God; and the Lord God will say unto you: Did I not declare my words unto you, which were written by this man, like as one crying from the dead, yea, even as one speaking out of the dust?” I’ve always marveled at Moroni’s testimony. He was faithful through periods in his life that must have been heart-wrenching. This is a good example of that testimony. You can tell that his faith became a knowledge of the truth by the way that he wrote. I’m a fan.

My neighborhood is notorious for being a dangerous part of Sacramento. Whenever I tell a Sacramentonian that I live in Oak Park they are a little taken aback, finding it hard to picture my white-Mormon self living in the ghetto. There’s a park across the street from my apartment complex. When I moved in and started the semester my law school told us not to go in the park at all. Ever since then I’ve been curious as to how dangerous that park really is; not curious enough to walk through it, but curious nonetheless. I think it’s probably not too dangerous, but my friends disagree. But riddle me this: if the park is so dangerous, why did I see a family party with an inflatable bouncy castle there? I still think it’s not that dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment